Skip to Content

IRS Notification

Follow each step to begin the process of clearing your name:

1 Organize Your Case

Keep a detailed log in a spiral notebook of all phone calls you receive or make including the name of the person you spoke with, that person’s title, phone number, organization name, and what was said during the conversation. Whenever possible ask to speak with a fraud investigator. Don't end the call until you're sure you understand everything you've been told. If you need more help, ask to speak to a supervisor. Confirm all conversations in writing. Send all correspondence using certified mail with return receipt requested. Keep loose papers in a notebook or accordion folder. Keep copies of all documents and letters.


Notify the IRS immediately by responding to the name and number printed on the notice or letter. Be alert to possible identity theft if the IRS notice or letter states that:

  • More than one tax return was filed using your Social Security number
  • IRS records indicate you received wages from an employer unknown to you

For assistance, contact the Taxpayer Advocate in Utah at:
50 South 200 East, Stop 1005, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Phone: 801-799-6958 FAX: 801-799-6957

IRS Records Indicate You Received Wages from an Employer Unknown to You

The IRS has a toll-free number to assist identity theft victims. The IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit will mark affected accounts so that identity theft issues may be resolved more quickly. Victims can call (800) 908-4490 and speak with a customer service rep Monday – Friday, from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Learn More About The IRS Advocate Service...

3 Social Security Statement

Request a Social Security Statement from the Social Security Administration to review your earned wages. Report any discrepancies to the Social Security Administration (Report Fraud: (800) 269-0271). If you discover that your Social Security number was used by someone else, file the appropriate Identity Theft report(s) on this web site. Report ID Theft.

Request a Social Security Statement

You can request a Social Security Statement by going online at and submitting a Social Security Statement request form SSA-7004. The Social Security Administration will not send your Statement back on the Internet. Instead, you will receive your Statement through regular mail in about 2-4 weeks.

If you are not comfortable sending information to the Social Security Administration over the Internet, you may download the Social Security Statement request form SSA-7004 and mail it to the address on the form. You can also order your Personal Earnings and Benefits Statement by telephone at (800) 772-1213.

When You Request Your Social Security Statement, You will Need:

  • Your name as shown on your Social Security Card
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your date of birth
  • Your place of birth
  • Your mother's maiden name - last name only (to help identify you)

Consent for Release of your Social Security Information

Certain situations may require you to provide proof of your Social Security Number. If you are unable to establish accounts with financial institutions, creditors, insurance agencies, or to obtain medical treatment because of identity theft, you should complete form SSA-3288. Request that your information be released to the organizations that are requesting proof of your Social Security Number. Make sure you provide each organizations name, address, and contact person.

4 Initiate a Fraud Alert

Initiate an Initial Fraud Alert (90-day Fraud Alert) on your credit files by contacting one of the three major credit-reporting agencies (CRAs). As soon as that agency processes your fraud alert, it will notify the other two agencies. All three CRAs will place fraud alerts in your credit file. You will then receive a free copy of all of the information in your file from each of the three agencies. You will also receive a notice of your rights as an identity theft victim. An Initial Fraud Alert can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name because creditors are required to call you before extending credit. An Initial Fraud Alert stays in your file for at least 90 days and can be renewed.

You can also ask for an Extended Alert (7-year Alert), which stays in your credit file for seven years. If you ask for an Extended Alert, you will have to provide a copy of an identity theft report, which is a report you have filed with a federal, state or local law enforcement agency. An Extended Alert entitles you to two additional free credit reports from each CRA in a 12-month period following the placing of the alert.

To place either of these alerts, a CRA will require you to provide appropriate proof of your identity, which may include copies of your Social Security card, driver’s license, and/or utility bills. You may cancel the fraud alerts at any time.

P.O. Box 9532
Allen, TX 75013

Click to file an initial fraud alert online 90-Day Fraud Alert

P.O. Box 740250
Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

Click to file an initial fraud alert online 90-Day Fraud Alert

P.O. Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

The Fair And Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA) gives all consumers the right to one free copy of their credit report each year from each of the credit reporting agencies. All three credit-reporting agencies have additional information regarding identity theft and the FACTA on their web sites.

You may request that only the last four digits of your Social Security number appear on your credit report. In all communications with the credit reporting agencies, you will want to refer to the unique number assigned to your credit.

5 Review Your Credit Report

Order your free credit reports online at Check each credit report carefully when you receive it. Look for accounts that you have not opened; charges that you have not made; inquiries that you have not initiated; and default and delinquencies that you have not caused. Check that your name, address, and Social Security number is correct on all reports. File all of the appropriate reports on this web site and follow the step-by-step instructions.

6 Monitor Your Credit Report

Check your credit report regularly. The federal FACTA law enables you to receive one free credit report per year from each of the three credit reporting agencies. These are in addition to the free reports you can order after you place a fraud alert on your credit file.

We recommend that you stagger the receipt of your credit reports, ordering one approximately every four months. Each time, ordering from a different agency. That way you can review your credit report three times each year. If you see possible fraudulent activity on your credit report, file all of the appropriate reports on this web site. Report ID Theft.