An investment in education today will not only help protect your identity from thieves, but may also help restore your good name and credit if you become a victim of identity theft. Take a moment to learn how to protect yourself against identity theft and how to resolve the problems associated with this crime.
IRIS is designed to launch a process of learning about identity theft.
- Step-by-Step ID Theft resolution instructions.
- How to use an Identity Theft Report
- How to use an Identity Theft Affidavit
- Statement of Rights for Identity Theft Victims
Detect and Prevent Identity Theft
- What is identity theft and how does it happen?
- What are the warning signs?
- Prevent identity theft.
- What to do if you become a victim of identity theft?
- Wallet was lost or stolen, what do I do?
- Identity theft and online resumés
- Protect your child from identity theft
- Identity theft victim with a criminal record
- A Guide for Guarding Personal Information in the Workplace
- Peer-to-Peer File Sharing: Security Risks
- Victims should ask to be added to the FBI's NCIC Identity Theft File
Credit Reporting Agencies
- What is a Fraud Alert?
- Activate a 90 day Fraud Alert
- Activate a 7 Year Extended Fraud Alert
- Child Identity Theft (TransUnion on-line search for a Credit File for your child)
- Child Identity Theft (Experian search for a Credit File for your child)
- Remove a Fraud Alert
- Credit Freeze
- How to read your credit report
- How to Establish a Credit History?
Government Records Identity Theft
- Social Security Number Identity Theft
- Am I required to give out my Social Security Number?
- Lost or stolen Military ID.
- Replace Social Security number for child identity theft victim
- Report and replace a lost or stolen Passport
- Replace a lost or stolen Green Card
- Where do I get replacement birth or death certificates?
- IRS - Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft
- IRS - Identity Theft Assistance
- Fishing Scams Game
- ID Theft Face Off Game
- Invasion of the Hackers Game
- Invest Quest
- Mission: Laptop Security
- Spam Scam Slam
- The Case of the Cyber Criminal Game
Identity Theft Scams
Identity Theft Statistics
- Letter to Collection Agency Claim of Fraud
- Follow up Letter to Collection Agency
- Follow up Letter Confirming Conversation
- Initial Identity Theft Victim Statement - Credit Issuer or Merchant
- Letter to Merchant - Checking Account Fraud
- Second Request Letter
- Sample letter to Experian
- Sample letter to Equifax
- Sample letter to TransUnion
IRIS Brochures and Posters
- IRIS Identity Theft Brochure - For the Public
- IRIS Brochure for Law Enforcement
- IRIS ID Theft Poster 8.5X11
- IRIS ID Theft Poster 18X24
- IRIS ID Theft Poster 24X36
- Child Identity Protection Poster 8.5X11
- Child Identity Protection Poster 18X24
- Child Identity Protection Poster 24X36
Identity Theft Links
Credit Reporting Agencies
Protect Your Identity
ID Theft Resources